czwartek, 5 lutego 2015

What if your comfort zone is only as big as your bed?

Everyone who knows me well would probably say "lazy" if asked for one word to describe me. I do work and go to uni, but whenever I have a chance, I stay in bed and read or watch series on the internet. I really admire people who "relax actively", go hiking or mountain biking or whatever whenever they have time. I do sports, I love swimming and I even ran a half- marathon last year, but it is only for keeping myself any fit that I do it (and so that I can carry on with my love towards chocolate).

My deep love to spending time in bed is almost legendary among my friends and flatmates. Once, a close friend and flatmate brought me a quote she read somewhere on the internet, saying "if something can't be done from a bed, it isn't worth doing at all". Apparently, it was an exact description of me! I even gave my bed a name once- I called it Ralph. So if someone who knew me well asked what I was doing I could answer "I'm spending an evening with Ralph" which ment I just wanted to sleep, but an unknowing third person could probably think that I had a life full of romance and excitement.

It's probably needless to say that I absolutely hate clubs. I do like house parties from time to time, but clubs make me crazy. I couldn't ever understand why people would go clubbing and what was so fun about it. Even if I got really drunk, I still almost never made it to stay up till later than 2 am. With a tiny exception for latino bars which I usually adore- clubs are hell for me. A good night out means going to a cozy bar and having a few gin-tonics. A night like that could possibly end in different ways, but going to a club is always a no-no scenario!

I wasn't always like this. When I lived in Cracow in my adolesence, I used to go out a lot more. But, for some reason, since I came to Germany, I started going out less and less. Now that I'm back home for some time, my friends basically drag me out of my flat if they want to see me! I have become a terrible, anti- social person! And I really don't know why...

So, when I first saw this picture, I started wondering what my comfort zone was. First thought was, of course, that it only was my bed, with my books, my magazines and my laptop. Then, I wondered where else I felt comfy and it turned out that the list was not quite that short: my flat, my uni, my office (I used to work in a tiny engineering company back then) and basically wherever I went with a big group of people I knew. So where would "outside" my comfort zone be? Meeting new people when I'm alone. Going to places alone (with one exception. I find it totally fine to go to a cinema alone. I don't know why it is that people are suprised when I say this. I usually go to a cinema to watch a movie. Why would I need anyone else in there to do it?). Going to clubs (no, no, no!). And finally... Moving countries again (I've done it twice already). Going somewhere completely new. Somewhere I wouldn't know the language!

So I took off after my bachelor in Munich and decided to do a gap year. Since I came home before Chrismas, my life was pretty constant and extremely boring. I would wake up, read, go for a walk or a run or to the swimming pool, come back, cook vegan lunch for my family, read a bit more, watch something on the tv, read again and go to bed. Even though I'd had plenty of plans for these months, I've been enjoying the time here greatly! But finally, I realized, I can't spend my life in bed anymore. Reading is great, but I feel like I'm missing out on everything else! So here you are, or maybe- here I go. From today on, I am going to plan and make something new happen. I am going to quit my comfort zone for once and see whether the magic really happens. I might even exchange my bed for a sleeping mat! But I guess it's high time I did it. If I don't start living now, when will I?

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz